Cowboys have long been iconic figures. And for good reason — they're hard-working, they have an unmatched toughness and tenacity, and their style is timeless.
Whether you're trying to learn how to walk the walk yourself or you're simply interested in cowboy culture, keep reading, pardner. We rounded up 50 of the best cowboy quotes, from funny to charming, and even some from famous cowboys.
Quotes About Cowboys
- "Cowboys and men are two totally different breeds." – Cowboy Proverb
- “Some cowboys have too much tumbleweed in their blood to settle down.” – Ken Alstad
- “You can take the boy out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the boy.” – Arthur Baer
- "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction." – Unknown
- “A cowboy is a man with guts and a horse.” – William James
- “Cowboys don’t take baths, they just dust off.” – Tornado
- "It doesn’t matter if a cowboy lives in the mountains or in the flats, as long as it’s warm and there is a place to lay his hat." – Cowboy poetry
- “No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.” – Winston Churchill
- "The horse is a mirror to your soul. And sometimes you might not like what you see in the mirror." – Horse trainer Buck Brannaman
- “Find her, protect her, spoil her, dance with her and never stop loving her or someone else will.” – The Cowboy Way
- "If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride." – Unknown
- "A cowboy is a person who would rather throw a bull than eat beans with his knife." – Charles Dorian
- "You may have a cowboy hat, spurs, chaps, and a horse but you’re not a cowboy till you can ride like one." – Unknown
- "The cowboy has been called America’s folk hero." – Charles W. Harris
- “There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favorite places is on the back of my horse.” – Rolf Kopfle
- "When a cowboy’s too old to set a bad example, he hands out good advice." – Unknown
- "Makin’ it in life is kinda like bustin’ broncs: you’re gonna get thrown a lot. The simple secret is to keep gettin’ back on." – Unknown
- "I've often said there is nothing better for a man's inside than the outside of the horse." – Ronald Reagan
- “A cowboy never says goodbye, it’s not in his nature.” – Kurt Philip Behm
- “You all can go to Hell. I am going to Texas.” – One-time Tennessee Congressman Davy Crockett
Quotes From Cowboys
- “Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway!” – John Wayne
- "True cowboys are the ones who aren’t afraid to get dirty." – Iconic late American bull rider Lane Frost
- “It ain’t dying I’m talking about, it’s living. I doubt it matters where you die, but it matters where you live.” – Robert Duvall as Gus McCrae in Lonesome Dove
- “I’m not afraid to die like a man fighting, but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed.” – Billy the Kid, in an 1879 letter to New Mexico Territory Governor Lewis Wallace
- “You see, in this world, there’s two kinds of people, my friend – those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” – Clint Eastwood
- “I don’t care about going down in history as a great bull rider or bronc rider. I hope people will remember me as a great cowboy.” – Ty Murray
- “Always drink upstream from the herd.” – Will Rogers
- "A man isn't born a cowboy, he becomes one." – Unknown
- “There’s nothin’ in life that’s worth doin’, if it cain’t be done from a horse.” ~ Red Steagall
- “Rodeo, like poetry, can get into your hemoglobin, into the deep helices of DNA, and once there it becomes your metaphorical makeup for life.” – cowboy poet Paul Zarzyski
- "Cowboy is a breed tougher than nails and strong as steel."
- "As welcome as a rattlesnake at a square dance."
- "By hook or by crook." (by any means necessary)
- "It don’t take a very big person to carry a grudge."
- "He’s all hat and no cattle." (all talk, no action)
- "Speak your mind, but ride a fast horse."
- "There never was a horse that couldn’t be rode; never was a cowboy who couldn’t be throwed."
- "Don't squat with your spurs on."
- "Never drink unless you’re alone or with somebody."
- "That dog won't hunt." (That isn't going to work)
- "May your belly never grumble, may your heart never ache, may your horse never stumble, may your cinch never break." –The Cowboy Blessing
- “Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go! We’re burnin’ daylight!”
- "There is no better place to cure a broken heart than on the back of a horse." – Missy Lyons
- "Just 'cause trouble comes visiting doesn't mean you have to offer it a place to sit down."
- "A good fence should be pig-tight, horse-high, and bull-strong." – Old farmers' advice
- "Tumbleweeds are best left to themselves."
- "Big mouth don't make a big man." – Will Anderson, The Cowboys
- “Life is getting up one more time than you’ve been knocked down.” – John Wayne
- "Go after life as if it’s something that’s got to be roped in a hurry before it gets away."
- “The best sermons are lived, not preached.”
Walk the Walk With Tecovas
Now that you know how to talk the talk, it's time that you look the part, fella. Luckily, we’ve got the goods to set you on your way: a pair of handmade Tecovas cowboy boots, a great cowboy hat, and a few pearl snaps.