From Annie Oakley to Dolly Parton & famous cowgirls in between we've rounded up iconic cowgirl quotes from famous women of the Wild West.
Like famous cowboys, cowgirls have a reputation for being tougher than nails, thanks to iconic Wild West women such as Calamity Jane, Annie Oakley, and Belle Starr. They also have a softer side. Cowgirls are also known to be kind and loving, particularly to folks in their inner circle — and their horses, of course. These gals are hard-working, capable, and can rope and ride with the best of 'em. In some cases, they may even out-rope and out-ride cowboys (don't tell the cowboys, though!).
Whether you have a general affinity for the culture and Western style or you're an aspiring cowgirl yourself, having a few cowgirl quotes and sayings in your arsenal is a mighty good idea. And hey darlin', while you're here, check out our roundup of famous cowboy quotes, too!
- “God intended women to be outside as well as men, and they do not know what they are missing when they stay cooped up in the house.” – Annie Oakley
- "A cowgirl knows no fear." – Unknown
- "Cowgirls don't cry, they just dust off and ride." – Brooks & Dunn
- "She's whiskey in a teacup." – Unknown
- "Don't be a lady, be a legend." – Dolly Parton
- "A cowgirl is a woman with guts and a horse." – Unknown
- "The cowgirl spirit is wild and free, strong and brave, and full of endless possibility." – Unknown
- “Boots, class and a little sass, that’s what cowgirls are made of.” – Candice Nichols
- "Give a girl the right pair of boots and she can conquer the world." – Marilyn Monroe
- "Life's tough, but cowgirls are tougher." – Unknown
- "A cowgirl stands up for what’s right, even if she stands alone." – Unknown
- "For one to fly, one needs only to take the reins." – Melissa James
- "A cowgirl's heart is as big as the wide open prairie." – Unknown
- "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." – Margaret Thatcher
- "Sometimes an angel, sometimes a hell raiser, always a strong woman." – R.H. Sin
- “Dirt is cowgirl glitter.” – Fallon Taylor
- "Life is short, but my boots are tall." – Unknown
- "A cowgirl is a rare blend of grit and grace, toughness and tenderness, power and femininity." – Unknown
- "It’s not how many times you get bucked off that counts, it’s how many times you saddle back up." – Unknown
- "In riding a horse we borrow freedom." – Helen Thomson
- "Most cowgirls are natural storytellers, their art honed by years of practice." – Teresa Jordan
- "Wherever your trail takes you today, don’t be discouraged by the puddles." – Unknown
- "If a cowgirl is smiling she’s thinking of doing something crazy, if she’s laughing she’s already done it." – Cassidy Magazine
- "It ain’t the clothes that make the cowgirl – it’s the attitude and the heart." – Unknown
- "Good girls are made of sugar and spice, cowgirls are made of whiskey on ice." – Rita Cynder
Quotes for Cowgirls
- “Cowgirl is an attitude, really; a pioneer spirit, a special American brand of courage.” – Dale Evans
- “Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog.” – Caroline Simon
- “Storms make trees take deeper roots.” – Dolly Parton
- "I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should just go ahead and be one." – Calamity Jane
- "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." – Winston Churchill
- “Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by a horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.” – Dale Carnegie
- "Don’t be like the rest of them darling." – Grace Kelly
- "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." – Tesio
- "Tough times never last, but tough people do." – Robert H. Schuller
- "And one day she discovered that she was fierce and strong, and full of fire and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears." – Mark Anthony
- “Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
- "They say 'a dog is a man’s best friend.' This may be true. But I say 'A horse is a girl’s best friend'." – Unknown
- "Don’t squat with your spurs on." – Will Rogers
- "It’s all very simple, keep your mind in the middle and a leg on each side." – Unknown
- "I would travel only by horse, if I had the choice." – Linda McCartney
- "Keep calm and cowgirl on."
- "Some days you just gotta put on your boots and dance anyway."
- "Cowgirl: A better-looking cowboy with brains."
- "Life is tough my darling, but so are you."
- "A woman never looks better than on horseback." – Jane Austen
- "Sometimes a cowgirl has to do what a cowboy can’t."
- "Sit loosely in the saddle." – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “You’re not a real woman until you’ve been in a rodeo.”
- "A bad ride is much better than a good walk." – J. Peter Grace
- "Cowboys are proof that cowgirls can take a joke." – Unknown
Cowgirl Up With Tecovas
Being a cowgirl is a way of life.. Some gals begin riding as soon as they learn to walk. But you don’t have to have grown up on a ranch to embrace the cowgirl code — confidence and an independent streak is an attitude wide open to everyone.
more from our stories
How Our Friends Are Spending the Holidays
What’s Cooking This Holiday Season?
15 Perfect Gifts for Cowboys & Western Lovers
Elevate Your Style: A Guide to Styling Men's Cowboy Boots
How to Rock Western Chic: A Guide to Styling Women's Cowboy Boots
Everything You Need to Nail the Farmcore Aesthetic
Stay And Finish: The Women of Alderspring Ranch
A Convo with Designer Kristopher Brock
Our Story: Western Goods for New Frontiers
The Journey of painting the West Texas sky
Our Friends and Heroes, The Austin Gamblers