With proper care, cowboy boots will last you a lifetime. But what about suede? This soft, supple reverse-side leather must have a hard time staying clean, right? No, in fact, with a care kit, suede is easy to clean.
Sure, a smooth pair of full-grain leather boots might seem easier to care for, but cleaning suede boots is just as easy when you have the right care kit and cleaning techniques down pat.
That’s why today, we’ll teach you how to clean suede boots like a pro. When done correctly, cleaning your suede will only take a few minutes, and you’ll reap the benefits of flaunting like-new boots for years to come.
What is Suede?
Suede is a high-quality type of leather made from the underside of certain animals, including bovine, lamb, bison, and the like. While soft to the touch, don’t be fooled. Suede isn’t as fragile as you might think! Our water-resistant suede cowboy boots are both rugged and elegant, giving you stylish durability you can feel confident wearing even in questionable weather.
Across our women’s cowboy boots and men’s cowboy boot collections, you’ll find several styles of suede boots, all with their own unique features that set them apart from the rest. Rest assured, no matter which suede boots you’re sporting, cleaning your suede boots is simple with our Suede Care Kit, which comes complete with a suede cleaner, brush, and dry clean bar.
How Often Should You Clean Suede Boots?
To maintain that like-new look, we recommend cleaning suede boots once a month or as needed. If you wear your boots every day and want to clean them regularly, a simple brushing using a soft suede brush is all you need. For monthly cleaning and protection, or when your boots have been put through the wringer and need immediate care, we recommend pulling out all stops with our suede care kit.
4 Steps to Cleaning Suede Boots
If your boots are wet, allow them to air dry before you begin cleaning. If your boots are already dry, you’ve got the green light to begin! Watch this Suede Care Kit Tutorial or check out our step-by-step instructions below.
- Starting with your suede brush, gently brush your suede to remove any dust, dirt, or residue. Brush the entire boot well–dust and dirt like to hide!
- With freshly brushed boots, you’re ready to apply your suede cleaner. Shake the bottle and spray down the entire boot. With a clean cloth, blot the boot to ensure the cleaner soaks in.
- If, after spraying with your suede cleaner, you notice any stains or grime on the boot, grab your dry clean bar and gently apply steady, light pressure in a circular or back-and-forth motion to the area. This can help erase the blemish. Then, use your suede brush to clean away any dry clean bar residue left behind.
- With all dry clean bar residue brushed away, continue brushing the entire boot with your suede brush or a clean cotton cloth.
And there you have it, partner–you’ve got clean boots!
3 Bonus Tips for Proper Care of Your New Suede Boots
Aside from regular cleanings with your Suede Care Kit, there are a few more tricks you ought to know if you want to keep your suede boots looking new today, tomorrow, and years down the road. Here are our top suede care rules:
- When not in use, keep suede boots stored away from the sun, ideally in a quality boot bag.
- Avoid “home recipe” cleaners, along with generic shoe polishes, conditioners, creams, and oils.
- Wet suede boots? Allow them to air dry and avoid heat sources.
Explore New Frontiers in Tecovas Suede Boots
No matter where your adventures lead, travel with style and comfort in tow with durable suede boots from Tecovas. Browse and shop today to find your new go-to pair of men’s suede roper boots or women’s suede cowboy boots in your favorite styles and colors. Before you go, snag your suede care kit for proper care and cleaning anytime, anyplace!
Are your boots in need of a bit more TLC than a bottle of suede cleaner can muster? Send them in for a complete Boot Restoration, and we’ll give them a fresh upgrade. Browse, shop, or contact Tecovas for all of your Tecovas Product Care needs!